Senior DevOps Engineer
e-mail jobs at (same domain as this site)
I have a passion for automating everything using test-driven development of DRY code. Blending idealism and reality into pragmatic solutions, I strive to maximize effectiveness while minimizing tech debt. I am the sworn enemy of single points of failure (so I ensure that I’m not one).
IBM Watson Media (formerly Clearleap) - Duluth, GA - Senior DevOps Engineer
2012 - PRESENT
- Architected and implemented a security-focused redesign of infrastructure automation via a Git/Jenkins/Chef/Terraform/Vault CI/CD pipeline utilizing test-driven development.
- Architected and implemented Puppet/Terraform-based automation required to launch services for Discovery Communications (13 channels to ~140 sites).
- Implemented CRUD utilities to automate processes needed to launch services for A+E Networks (A&E, History, Lifetime, etc. delivery to ~140 sites). Launch Team Lead.
- Built AWS cross-region consistency and failover integrations for the NFL Mobile VOD launch (~38,000 videos, ~140 million views, 100% SLA for season). Launch Team Lead.
- Integrated with BBC America facility for launch (delivery to ~45 sites). Launch Team Lead.
- Re-implemented a competitor’s proprietary discontinued platform to integrate with a "top 5" U.S. Cable Operator for iNDEMAND Launch (delivery to 55 sites). Launch Team Lead.
- Automated installation of media exchange systems for Scripps Networks launch (Food Network, HGTV, Travel Channel, etc. delivery to ~100 sites). Launch Team Lead.
U.S. Army - Wahiawa, Hawaii - Tikrit, Iraq - Information Assurance Security Officer
2005 - 2008
- Brought unit from 0% to 100% compliance with Army Information Assurance standards within a month of assuming responsibilities and maintained 100% throughout tenure.
- Led Army Pacific Region's migration from username/password authentication to Common Access Card/PIN authentication.
- Migrated unit from legacy file servers to SharePoint services.
Interland - Atlanta, GA - UNIX Team Lead
2001 - 2002
- Mentored and led an overnight team of 6 to outperform the other two shifts combined (totaling 17 people) in quality and efficiency.
Linux (Debian, Centos, RHEL, Red Hat, Gentoo), git, Jenkins, Chef, Kitchen, InSpec, Terraform, Packer, Vault, Consul Template, Artifactory, yum/rpm, apt/deb, pip, gem, Berkshelf, AWS (EC2, S3, VPC, CloudFormation, RDS, DynamoDB, Route 53, OpsWorks, IAM, CloudWatch, Glacier), IBM Cloud, OpenStack, Vagrant, libVirt, Docker, Kubernetes, Helm, Ansible, Puppet, Hadoop, Cleversafe, TCP/IP Networking, Apache HTTPD, Tomcat, nginx, PostgreSQL, ELK (Elasticsearch, Logstash, Kibana), Datadog, Zenoss, bash scripting, Groovy, Grails, Ruby, REST APIs, TLS, PKI
Continuous Compliance on AWS with Chef Automate - ChefConf Workshop
Kubernetes Crash Course - IBM Budapest Lab
Terraform Crash Course - IBM Budapest Lab
OpenStack Bootcamp II - Mirantis
Architecting on AWS - Advanced Concepts - Global Knowledge
Architecting on AWS - Global Knowledge
System Operations on AWS - Global Knowledge
Zenoss Advanced Training - Zenoss
Information Assurance Security Officer Certification - U.S. Army Signal Center
Information Management Officer Certification - U.S. Army Signal Center
Kennesaw State University - Kennesaw, GA - B.A. Music/Ethnomusicology (cum laude)
2009 - 2012